The Railroad Historical Center was established in 1970 with the intent of preserving the area and country's railroad history, from the "Golden Age", roughly 1900-1950. After spending years as a private collection in the rear of an Adams family property, the land and equipment was graciously donated to The Museum [of Greenwood] in 2005. Since then the site has grown with the acquisition of various new artifacts and the former Palmetto Bank building to serve as visitor's center for the near future. The Museum along with the Railroad Center Board jointly oversee the upkeep and restoration of the site and its vintage equipment.
In 2018 the Railroad Historical Center proudly unveiled a new deck and accessibility lift to enable those who have difficulty climbing stairs to view the train. This has opened a bright new future, nearly complete once the 2102 is finished and 746 is filled with seats.